Search This Blog

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Here's what greets me every Saturday...

I know it doesn't look like much, but this is my organic box of produce I pick up every Saturday!!  I can't tell you (what a dork I am) how excited I get when I get home & open it up to see what lovelies await!!





Farmer Vern always includes a little note to talk about what's up on the farm, as well as 2 recipes for items that may not be too familiar.  Today I got garlic something-or-others.  Look kinda like green onions. I guess you use them the same way, too.  Chop them up, add to stir fry or dips, salads, garnish.  Feelin' kinda dippy w/ it being the holiday weekend and all.  OH!  That's right, they are garlic SCAPES!!




All these items were in the ground or on the tree on Thursday, and we get them on Saturday.  Ffffrrrrrrrreshhhhhhhhh!! :)  So much nicer looking that grocery store organics, and cheaper, too!  One thing I've learned...if you get lettuce in Saturday's box, you're having lettuce for dinner!  That stuff doesn't keep long at all!!  And towards the end of the week the extras end up in soup, usually.  Ok, but look at all this!!  All for $19 and ORGANIC! (don't know if I've mentioned that it is organic. ;)  )

And they even tell you what farm your stuff comes from!! :)

Have I lost you yet?  Cuz I feel like I've lost you.  Almost done, I swear!
Now I collapse my little box and put it in the back of the car, waiting for next week!! :)



So there it is in all it's glory!




And in an effort to further reduce my family's consumption of HFCS (high fructose corn syrup), I'm going to attempt this...

I'll let you know how it goes.  I think the deal is you make enough dough for 4 loaves at a time and freeze the other 3.  The bread looks really good and so we'll see.  I may have to sit down w/ Adam and explain the importance of homemade bread and the deadly effects of HFCS so he will let go of my leg long enough for me to do this.  Wish me luck. 






1 comment:

  1. OOOH! So that is what the bundle o' fresh looks like! Oh, and we must talk about this artisian bread. I want to make some!

    ReplyDelete